Travel to Fiji’s Caqalai Islands to improve your diving and assist in crucial coral reef research efforts. The project is geared at providing long term research to support sustainable use and preservation of marine resources, with benefits to the local communities through strategies designed to help guarantee a rich diversity of marine life remains for future generations.
Your participation in marine research will contribute towards providing data to the local government on various conservation initiatives.
Scuba Diving Requirements
Scuba diving and snorkelling are two activities that you will be doing frequently, and you will need to be qualified to at least PADI Open Water, or equivalent if joining projects for 4 weeks. Are you a non diver? No problem, you can join for 8 weeks or more, but the 4-week duration is only open for qualified Open Water Divers. Non-divers who want to attend the program for 4-weeks can qualify through local dive centers before their intended start date.
Our GVI staff will supply you with all the training you need to be certified up to a PADI Advanced Open Water diver. You will also obtain the exclusive PADI Coral Reef Research Diver Distinctive Speciality qualification on this program.
- Increase your employability by developing your hands-on conservation skills
- Learn how to identify coral reef species and/or habitats, including benthos, invertebrates and/or fish in the South Pacific Ocean
- Live and work on a stunning tropical island
- Improve your diving skills and experience
- Develop the techniques you need to survey coral reefs
- Experience true cultural immersion in the Fijian way of life
- Contribute to UN Sustainable Development Goal #14, Life Below Water
I had a brilliant time, the staff were really friendly and welcoming and I loved all the activities. There was so much variety and a lot to learn - I would definitely go back. This experience has made me change my career to what I love and I’m currently now looking for marine research/science work throughout the world. The GVI experience has made me reconsider what I want from life.