While primary and secondary education is free and compulsory in Peru, the quality thereof is not of a high standard. Peruvian teachers are overworked with little to no resource to their disposal.
Volunteers joining this program will get involved in teaching mathematics, English and science to children from a range of different grades. English has been highlighted as a key focus area and something that locals are keen to learn. This will aid in interacting with tourists and their ability to conduct business with English speakers. Participants can expect to conduct workshops for teachers to provide training on different teaching methodologies; how to work with overcrowded classrooms; and how to work with multiple grade classrooms.
Apart from the English lessons, please note that teaching will be conducted in Spanish. If you require Spanish lessons these can be provided, just speak to your country expert about this add-on.
- Gain practical teaching experience and mentorship from our experienced staff
- Develop and enhance your leadership skills
- Build your confidence in public speaking
- Contribute to a sustainable project to improve the overall standard of education, while directly impacting the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
- Experience the diversity of the local Peruvian lifestyle, culture, food and language
- Travel and explore some of the famous attractions around Cusco
The most positive experiences I had volunteering for GVI would have to be just simply living with and getting to know the local people. Their way of life, response to life and general outlook on life is so inspiring and so beautiful that you can't help but fall in love with the people and the place. The children I taught and worked with made me discover a love and joy in children I never knew I had.