Nepal is a naturally and culturally beautiful country, but the unfortunate truth is that the streets of Nepal’s cities and towns are where a lot of children end up when their families can no longer support them.
Despite this tough background, the children still have an extraordinary desire to learn and throughout your internship you will provide the extra support they need as well as creating and nurturing a positive environment in which to deliver this educational support.
Volunteers provide the local teachers critical support with the funding from programme fees being almost the only source of funds. Our main aim is to keep these facilities running to allow the provision of education to continue.
How this project makes a difference
In Nepal children are frequently abandoned and found in extremely poor working conditions. If these children do not have care centres to turn to, they would not receive an education and other crucial basic needs.
We support a number of care centres in Nepal operating by providing needed funding and volunteer aide. These facilities provide children with the tools they need to aim for a better future.
Nepal's short, mid, and long-term objectives
All of our programs have short, mid and long-term objectives that fit with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. This enables us to report on our collaborative impact across the world in a streamlined manner, measuring which UN SDGs we are making a substantial contribution to. Furthermore, this will help our local partners and communities measure and visualize their contribution to the UN SDGs.
Upon arrival to base, you will be educated about the history of the UN SDGs. You will learn about the specific goals of your location, the long-, mid- and short-term objectives, and also clarification of how your personal, shorter-term involvement contributes to these goals on a global level.
Our aim is to educate you on local and global issues, so that you continue to act as active global citizens after your program, helping to fulfil our mission of building a global network of people united by their passion to make a difference.
Learn about the long-term objectives you will be contributing to in Nepal:
1. Support students to reach learning goals appropriate to their Age (under 5s) Grade level (5-18 year olds) or Individual Need (students with Special Needs)
2. Support students to expand their English vocabulary
3. Increase the knowledge and understanding of Healthcare in the community with an emphasis on prevention
4. Develop the skills of women in the community in order to improve their potential to generate income or to become more self-sufficient
5. Support the local community with improved facilities with an emphasis on educational and health and safety needs
6. To minimize our environmental impact in Lakeside and raise awareness of environmental issues amongst volunteers and the students with whom we work